Two Harbors, Minnesota is located on the north shore of Lake Superior, 27 miles northeasterly from Duluth, Minnesota. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of August 5, 1886; August 30, 1935 (deauthorized December 1989); November 7, 1945; and, July 14, 1960. The existing project provides for the narrowing of the natural entrance by construction of two breakwaters 1,628 and 900 feet long, from eastern and western points of the north side of the harbor to 28 and 30 feet deep. A walkway on the east breakwater is provided for public recreational use. The project serves three ore docks, a tug wharf and a general merchandise wharf.