South Haven Harbor, Michigan is located on the east shore of Lake Michigan, 77 miles northeasterly from Chicago, Illinois, and 24 miles northerly from St. Joseph, Michigan. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of 11 August 1888, 3 March 1905, and 30 August 1935. The existing project provides for protecting the mouth of the Black River by two piers and revetments, 190 to 166 feet apart with lengths of 2,143 feet and 2,182 feet for the north and south sides respectively; for an entrance channel 21 feet deep to the shore line; thence a channel 19 feet deep and 130 feet wide, extending up the river to a turning basin 440 feet wide and 19 feet deep, located immediately below the Dyckman Avenue Bridge. The length of the entrance channel to the inner end of the piers is 2,700 feet and in the river to the bridge 2,400 feet. The project services primarily commercial fishing and recreational navigation interests.