Port Wing Harbor, Wisconsin is located on the south shore of Lake Superior, about 34 miles easterly from Duluth, Minnesota. The project was authorized by the Rivers and Harbors Acts of 12 June 1902 and 30 June 1948. The project provides for two parallel piers at the entrance, 835 and 1,017 feet long, respectively, and 200 feet apart; an entrance channel between the piers 150 feet wide and 15 feet deep, an irregular-shaped turning basin 15 feet deep at the inner end at the piers from which two inner channels having an 8-foot depth extend; one channel is 60 feet wide extending southerly, 340 feet; the other is 70 feet wide extending easterly, 1,170 feet. The channels are maintained at 12 and 10 feet deep, respectively. The harbor services a commercial fishery and recreational navigation interests.