Menominee Harbor, Michigan & Wisconsin is located on Lake Michigan at the mouth of the Menominee River on the western shore of Green Bay, 16 miles northwest of the mouth of Sturgeon Bay, and 49 miles northeast of Green Bay Harbor, about 155 miles from Milwaukee via Sturgeon Bay Harbor and the Lake Michigan Ship Canal. The river forms the boundary between the commercial harbors at Marinette, Wisconsin, and Menominee, Michigan. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of March 3, 1871; June 13, 1902; March 4, 1913; July 3, 1930; August 30, 1935; March 2, 1945; July 14, 1960; and, June 27, 1967 (Section 107). The existing project provides for the construction of parallel piers at the harbor entrance; for a depth of 26 feet in the approach channel, 24 feet in the inner harbor to a municipal wharf, 21 feet in the turning basin, 19 feet in the river to Ely Street, and 12 feet in the upper reach to the limit of the Federal Project.
The approach channel is maintained at 24 feet deep and the inner harbor is maintained at 21 feet deep. Wharves for handling coal, limestone, pulp, and other miscellaneous commodities are served by the project.