Marquette Harbor, Michigan is located in Marquette Bay on the south shore of Lake Superior, 160 miles west of Sault Ste. Marie, MI, and 265 miles east from Duluth, Minnesota. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of March 2, 1867; August 11, 1888; June 25, 1910; August 30 1955; and, July 14, 1960. The existing project provides for 4,510 feet of breakwater, the inner 3,010 feet to be of timber and concrete and the remainder rubblemound, and for dredging a harbor basin 1,600 feet by 3,600 feet to a depth of 27 feet. At present, there are 2 coal docks and one petroleum dock served by the project.