Duluth-Superior Harbor, MN. & WI. is located at the extreme western end of Lake Superior. The cities of Duluth, MN, and Superior, WI, are on the north and south sides, respectively. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of June 3, 1896; March 2, 1907; May 28, 1908; July 27, 1916; March 2, 1919; January 21, 1927; July 30, 1930; August 30, 1930; July 16, 1952; and, October 4, 1961; and by the Water Resources Development Act of November 17, 1986. The existing project provides for the rebuilding of the canal piers at the Duluth Entry, and replacement or construction of channels within the harbor, St. Louis Bay, and St. Louis River. Channels vary in depth from 32 to 28 feet in the entrance; are 27 feet deep in the iron-ore route channels and 20 to 23 feet in inner channels. There are over 18 miles of maintained channels in the harbor, with widths varying from 250 feet to over 3700 feet in basins. The project has over 10,000 feet of structures including breakwaters, piers and revetments. There are about 110 docks or terminals serviced by the project. These include facilities for handling bulk products such as, iron ore (taconite), coal, limestone, petroleum, and grain and general cargo, including steel and scrap iron.