The Detroit River, Michigan is one of the Great Lakes Connecting Channels. It is 31 miles long, flowing south from Lake St. Clair to Lake Erie. The Detroit River project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of June 13, 1902; March 3, 1905; March 2, 1907; June 25, 1910; March 4, 1913; March 2, 1919; July3, 1930; August 30, 1935; August 26, 1937; March 2, 1945; July 24, 1946; May 17, 1950; March 21, 1956; July 14, 1960; and, August 13, 1968. The existing project provides for improving the Detroit River main channels to provide for 25.5-foot draft navigation; improving certain auxiliary and side channels; and for construction of various water level and compensating dikes and structures. A total of 76 miles of channels, of depths varying from 21.0 (a portion of upbound channel) to 29.5 feet below LWD in order to provide the 25.5-foot safe navigation draft, are included in the Detroit River project. In addition to serving as a connecting channel, numerous commercial installations used for handling coal, iron ore (taconite), limestone, steel products, petroleum products, and other general cargo, including overseas cargo, are served by the Detroit River navigation channels.