Recent images related to the Soo Locks and the Great Lakes
Lake Michigan Area Office
The Lake Michigan Area Office in Grand Haven sits on the spot where in 1911, land was acquired by the U.S. government. There were minimal structures on site, but a frame building on the one acre site was eventually used as a carpenter shop. In 1925, a floating plant moved a one story frame field office building “The Sheboygan House” and a warehouse building from Sheboygan, Wisconsin via barges to the Grand Haven, Michigan site. Built in 1836, “The Sheboygan House”, Sheboygan’s first hotel, was used as the facility manager’s home with office / warehouse buildings nearby. Until the 1930s just about all federal navigation structure construction and repair, along with dredging was performed by government plant and hired labor in the Grand Haven area.
Photo by: |