The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Detroit District recently completed a busy fiscal year 2019 awarding 204 contracts totaling nearly $75 million. This includes 28 construction and dredging contracts worth almost $57 million.
Significant contracts awarded include:
- Superior Entry North Pier Repair (contract award number W911XK19C0020) in Duluth Harbor, St. Louis County, Minnesota was awarded to Roen Salvage Co. from Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin for more than $8.4 million. The project is scheduled to be complete July 2021. The work involves repairs to the Superior Entry North Pier, Duluth-Superior Harbor. The main scope of this project is to remove the 4' by 5' knee wall of the existing concrete pier. The existing north pier structure will be encased in a steel sheet pile wall with stone fill, grout, cover stone and scour stone. Stone removal and replacement will be required at the steel sheet piling drive line.
- Soo Locks Boiler Replacement (contract award number W911XK19C0022) in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan was awarded to Greenland Enterprises, Inc. from Hampton Virginia for almost $6.2 million. The project is scheduled to be completed by June 2021. This project replaces the existing boilers and supporting equipment while providing improvements to the system as far as efficiency and controls. Work includes demolition and removal of the existing boiler system electrical and mechanical equipment, and backup propane tanks. The new boiler system consists of three natural-gas-package boilers, approximately 5,000,000 British thermal unit per hour output each.
- The Green Bay Harbor, in Green Bay, Wisconsin, maintenance dredging project was awarded to Luedtke Engineering Company from Frankfort, Michigan for more than $4 million to dredge 302,900 cubic yards of material. The project (contract award numberW911XK19C0015) dredged the outer bay and placed the material in the Cat Island Dredged Material Placement Facility. The project was completed in November 2019.
- The maintenance dredging Detroit River and Pointe Mouillee Confined Disposal Facility Maintenance project near Detroit Michigan was awarded to Ryba Marine Construction from Cheboygan, Michigan for more than $4 million. The project (contract award number W911XK19C0012) dredged and removed sediment materials from the Detroit River federal navigation channel then transport and deposit that material at the Pointe Mouillee CDF was completed in 2019.
- The Wisconsin Piping Plover Habitat project (contract award number W911XK19C0009) in Superior, Wisconsin was awarded to the Roen Salvage Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin for almost $1.7 million. The contractor constructed the Wisconsin Piping Plover Habitat Project during the fall of 2019. The goal of the project is to create 14 acres of foraging and nesting habitat for shoreline birds at the northwestern end of Wisconsin Point. The main intent of the project is to encourage the federally endangered bird, the Piping Plover, to establish a presence on the site in future years. The habitat was created through the beneficial use of dredged sand from the federal navigation channel with additional material sourced locally to construct the nesting areas. The project is expected to finish up in the spring 2020.
- Muskegon South Breakwater Connector Repair (contract award number W911XK19C0021) in Muskegon, Michigan was awarded to Great Lakes Dock & Materials LLC. From Muskegon, Michigan for more than $1.6 million. The project is to demolish the existing south breakwater connector in several sections, which included the removal of the existing concrete slab and beams, timber piles and existing stone. Afterwards, the construction of a rubble mound breakwater and alignment of the existing structure will be completed by November 2020.
- The St. Clair River, between Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair in Michigan, maintenance dredging project was awarded to Ryba Marine Construction from Cheboygan, Michigan for more than $1.5 million to dredge 83,800 cubic yards of material. The project (contract award number W911XK19C0013) will place material at the West Dickenson Island Confined Disposal Facility, CDF. Dredging took place at various locations from the delta at Lake St. Clair to the Point Edwards Range in Lake Huron and was completed in November 2019.
- The Duluth-Superior Harbor in Duluth, Minnesota and Superior, Wisconsin, maintenance dredging project (contract award number W911XK19C0019) was awarded to Roen Salvage Company of Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin for more than $1.4 million to dredge 154,585 cubic yards of material. The dredge material was placed evenly along the Minnesota Point shoreline beginning at the Superior Entry rubble mound structure and extending 3,000 feet in a northwestern direction. The project began in September and concluded in November 2019.
- The maintenance dredging Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal and Kewaunee Harbor project in Wisconsin was awarded to Great Lakes Dock and Materials, L.L.C. from Muskegon, Michigan for more than $1.3 million. The project (contract award number W911XK19C0010) is to dredge Sturgeon Bay between the upstream and downstream limits then offload and deposit the dredged materials into Barge Road / Sturgeon Bay Utilities Placement Area. Then to dredge Kewaunee Harbor between the upstream and downstream limits and place the dredged materials into Kewaunee Confined Disposal Facility. This project was completed in December 2019.
- The De Pere Dam Walkway replacement project, in De Pere, Wisconsin, was awarded to Michels Corporation from Brownsville, Wisconsin for about $937,750 will conclude in August 2020. The project (contract award number W911XK19C0016) includes the removal of six steel bridge spans approximately 50 feet long x four feet wide, demolition, removal and replacement of five reinforced concrete piers approximately 8.5 feet long x three feet wide, and fabrication and installation of six new galvanized steel bridge spans.
- The Manitowoc Harbor and Two Rivers (Inner) Harbor, Wisconsin, maintenance dredging project (contract award number W911XK19C0017) was awarded to Roen Salvage Company, Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin for approximately $833,950.00 to dredge 54,000 cubic yards. The project, starting in September 2019 and concluding in November 2019, deposited dredge materials into Manitowoc confined disposal facility.
- The Two Rivers (Outer) Harbor, in Two Rivers, Wisconsin, maintenance dredging project (contract award number W911XK19C0018) was awarded to The King Co., Inc. from Holland, Michigan for about $616,535.00 to dredge 78,100 cubic yards of material from the upstream and downstream channels. The project, awarded in September 2019, should be completed at the end of February 2020 and places material along the shoreline from the northern breakwater structure to the northern breakwater structure.
- The maintenance dredging Ludington Harbor project in Ludington, Michigan was awarded to MCM Marine, Inc. from Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan for more than $394,000.The project (contract award number W911XK19C0006) to dredge between the upstream and downstream limits was completed in 2019.
- Oakland County George W. Kuhn Sewer Cleaning & CCTV Project: A contract for $338,300 was awarded to Advanced Underground Inspection of Westland, Michigan for cleaning and video services of approximately 29,000 lineal feet of sewer as well as ten siphon structures. The work (contract award number W911XK19C0027) is in and around the community of Royal Oak, Michigan and will be completed in February 2020.
- Oakland County GWK Sewer Existing Condition Report: A contract for $234,800 was awarded to HNTB-Barr-Gerwick of Detroit, Michigan for producing a report of the sewer/siphon condition and estimating repair costs and methods. The project (a task order under contract number W911XK15D0002) will be completed in July 2020.
The Detroit District looks forward to completing projects started in 2019 and awarding new contracts in 2020 including the award of the Upstream Channel Deeping of the channel for the New Lock at the Soo. All Detroit District contract requests and award announcements can be found at https:\\beta.sam.gov.
Release no. 20-004