Home > Missions > Operations > St Clair River, MI

St Clair River, MI

The St. Clair River, Michigan is a 40-mile long section of Great Lakes Connecting Channels, which flows southerly from Lake Huron and discharges into Lake St. Clair. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of July 13, 1892; July 8, 1930; March 2, 1945; July 24, 1946 (deauthorized November 17, 1986); and, March 21, 1956. The existing project provides for channels through the St. Clair River, to a depth varying from 27.1 to 30 feet, which, at low datum, are suitable for vessels drawing 25.5 feet.  In addition to serving as a connecting channel, numerous commercial installations, located in Marysville, Port Huron, Marine City, and St. Clair, MI., used for handling coal, limestone, wood pulp, petroleum products, salt, and other general cargo, are served by the St. Clair River navigation channel.