Saginaw River, Michigan is formed by union of the Tittabawassee and Shiawassee Rivers, 22 miles long, and flows northerly into the extreme inner end of Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. The Cities of Saginaw and Bay City are on the river. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of June 26, 1910; July 3, 1930; August 26, 1937; June 20, 1938; September 3, 1954; October 23, 1962; and, October 27, 1965. The existing project provides for an entrance channel 27 feet deep and 350 feet wide from the 27-foot contour in Saginaw Bay to the river mouth; thence a channel 26 feet deep and 200 feet wide for 0.4 mile; thence 25 feet deep and 200 feet to the New York Central Railway Bridge at Bay City; thence 22 feet deep and 200 feet wide to the C&O Railroad bridge at Saginaw; thence 16.5 feet deep to the upstream limit at Green Point. The project also provides for five turning basins; one 25 feet deep at Essexville, 600 feet wide with a maximum length of 1,850 feet; one 22 feet deep on the east of the channel about one mile upstream from Cass Avenue in Bay City, 650 feet wide and 1,000 feet long; one 20 feet deep at Carrollton, 100 to 300 feet wide and 900 feet long; one 20 feet deep on the east side of the channel just upstream from the Sixth Street Bridge in Saginaw, 650 feet wide and 1,000 feet long, and one 15 feet deep between the Bristol Street and New York Central Railway Bridges in Saginaw. The project serves numerous large commercial docks for handling a variety of cargo.