Home > Missions > Operations > Muskegon Harbor, MI

Muskegon Harbor, MI

Muskegon Harbor, Michigan is located on the east shore of Lake Michigan, 114 miles northeasterly from Chicago, Illinois, and 80 miles easterly from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of June 13, 1902; March 3, 1925; August 30, 1935; and, October 23, 1962. The existing project provides for an exterior basin in Lake Michigan formed by two arrowhead breakwaters, the south 1,514 feet long and the north 1,404 feet long, 500 feet apart at the outer ends, the inner ends connected with the shore by suitable structures, 1,660 feet and 1,561 feet long on the north and south sides, respectively; for repairing and maintaining the revetment around the old car ferry slip on the south side of the entrance channel; for dredging a flared entrance channel with a depth of 29 feet from deep water in Lake Michigan narrowing to a width of 380 feet between the breakwaters, thence increasing to 650 feet at a point 300 feet inside the breakwaters, thence decreasing to 600 feet at a point 1,000 feet inside the breakwaters; a depth of 28 feet from this point over a width decreasing from 600 to 200 feet at the outer channel between the inner piers to Muskegon Lake. The project serves several privately owned commercial wharves.