Home > Missions > Operations > Manitowoc Harbor, WI

Manitowoc Harbor, WI

Manitowoc Harbor, Wisconsin is located on the west shore of Lake Michigan about 79 miles north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin and about 106 miles from Sturgeon Bay Harbor and the Lake Michigan Ship Canal. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of March 2, 1907; August 30, 1935; August 26, 1937; October 23, 1962; July 14, 1960(Section 107); and, December 31, 1968. The existing project provides for construction of north and south breakwaters; a lake approach channel about 2,600 feet long, 800 feet wide and 25 feet deep; an outer harbor channel about 2,100 feet long and 23 feet deep, with a maximum width of 800 feet; a channel about 1.7 miles long in the Manitowoc River, 23 feet deep to 8th street and 22 feet deep to the second railway bridge with widths of 180 feet at the mouth, 150 feet at the upper end, and intermediate reduction and enlargement; and a channel 12 feet deep and 100 to 150 feet wide for a distance of 720 feet above the second railway bridge. Three car-ferry slips, a grain elevator, one shipbuilding yard, and other wharves used for handling coal, building materials, cement, and other miscellaneous commodities are served by the project.

Surveys