Home > Missions > Operations > Ludington Harbor, MI

Ludington Harbor, MI

Ludington Harbor, Michigan is located on the east shore of Lake Michigan, 156 miles northeasterly from Chicago, Illinois, and 67 miles northerly from Grand Haven, Michigan. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of March 2, 1867; March 3, 1899; March 2, 1907; and, December 31, 1970. The existing project provides for an exterior basin in Lake Michigan protected by converging breakwaters, the north breakwater having a length of 1,800 feet and the south breakwater a length of 1,700 feet, 550 feet apart at the outer ends diverging at an angle of 90 degrees, with shore connections 1,103 feet and 2,004 feet in length, respectively; for dredging an exterior basin to 18 feet deep with a maximum width 1,500 feet; a channel with a depth of 29 feet from deep water in Lake Michigan decreasing to 27 feet at the west end of the north pier, over a maximum width of 600 feet; then a depth of 27 feet over a minimum of 230 feet, with necessary widening at Pere Marquette Lake; and for inner piers and revetments, 1,649 feet long on north and sufficiently long on the south for the turn at Pere Marquette Lake. The harbor serves several wharves, which handle coal, limestone and other miscellaneous commodities.