Home > Missions > Operations > Cheboygan Harbor, MI

Cheboygan Harbor, MI

Cheboygan Harbor, Michigan is located at the mouth of the Cheboygan River, which empties into western Lake Huron about 16 miles southeast of the Straits of Mackinac Bridge. The project was authorized by Rivers and Harbors Acts of June 2, 1896; March 2, 1907; August 26, 1937; May 17, 1950; and, October 21, 1964. The existing project provides for a channel 21 feet deep and 200 feet wide from the 21-foot contour in Lake Huron to the outer end of the west pier; thence, between lines parallel to and 25 feet from the docks, 21 feet deep from this point to East First Street and thence 18.5 feet deep and 60 feet wide from this bridge to the lock on the Cheboygan River; a turning basin 21 feet deep, 400 feet wide, and 420 to 770 feet long on the east side of the existing project channel just below East First Street; and a rubblemound breakwater about 775 feet long on the west side of the channel at the mouth of the river. Commercial docks, which are used primarily for receipt of petroleum products, exist along the river.